Are your beliefs stopping you from having the career that you want?
In many cases, I strongly suggest that these are! Check these 10 beliefs that stop many people achieve what they desire in life. Be honest with yourself – how many have stopped you?
1. I don’t trust myself to choose the RIGHT business or career. The fear of making the wrong choice can freeze you into inaction. So often, we put pressure on ourselves to have a specific career. Give yourself a break! If you are following your heart and your passion, this career choice, even if it is not the “perfect” one, will put you on the path to a career you’ll love.
2. I don’t know enough. “If I only knew more I would be ready to move to that next career or start my own business.” It is easy to spend the rest of our lives researching, learning and NOT doing. Take action, make mistakes and learn from them.
3. I can’t make enough money doing what I love. First of all saying the word “can’t” shuts down all creativity and restricts you. Instead ask yourself, “What can I do that will turn what I love into money or revenue? Remember you can have several streams of income. It doesn’t all have to come from one place. Sit down with a positive friend and brainstorm all the ways you can make money from what you love.
4. Changing careers is too hard. Staying in a job you hate is hard!! Sure, any change takes some focus and action but when you are moving towards your dreams, it is worth it. Break it down. Take it one step at a time and soon you will be there.
5. I’m to old to make a career change. I remember reading about a women who had always dreamed about being a doctor. She entered medical school at the age of 60. Often people would say to her, “Do you know how old you will be when you finish?” Her answer always was, “I’ll be in my 70’s anyway. I would rather be a doctor when I am 70 then just be 70.” It is never too late to make a career change or start a business that brings you joy.
6. I am not good at marketing and promoting so I can’t start my own business. Most people do not start out being excellent at marketing themselves or their business. Don’t let that stop you! There are plenty of books and classes that will teach you. Find one that fits your personality. Also consider partnering with someone who is great at marketing and let them do it for you in exchange for a piece of the action.
7. I don’t have enough confidence to change careers or start a new business. Be willing to take baby steps. With each action your confidence will build. If your lack of confidence is keeping you from even taking a baby step find a Life Coach to work with you on building that confidence. Change the beliefs about yourself that are holding you back and you will take steps you never thought possible!
8. I should just be happy where I am. Whenever I hear a “should” I know that compromise is nearby! It is important to follow your intuition and inner guidance.
9. I don’t want to do anything forever. This is a common theme from a true idea person. This type of person has so many great ideas that it is hard to stick with just one. The key to success is picking one idea and growing it into a successful career or business then and only then is it time to move to the next great idea. You don’t have to stick with it forever!
10. All the good opportunities are gone. You don’t have to be the first one to do something! Most successful businesses and careers are built by modelling what others have already done well. There are always fabulous opportunities if you are willing to open your eyes and see.
So, there you have it – 10 beliefs that may well be stopping you from achieving your dream career. If you feel that one or more of these are very apt, that’s great, because now you’re aware of them and can do something about them!
Watch my latest video programme to see what you need to do to change your beliefs.
Latest posts by Tony Lockwood (see all)
- 10 Beliefs Stopping You from having a Career that you are Passionate About! - February 26, 2016